Web hosting for SEO: Why it’s important
Do you want to discover a simple approach to increase the overall performance of your website?
Invest in good hosting.
Ignorance is no longer an excuse for any business to employ a low-cost web server.
Website performance is an important factor that may increase your rankings, traffic, and conversions.
This book will teach you all you need to know about why web hosting is essential for SEO.
What is website hosting?
A website hosting service provider, sometimes known as a web host, is a company that provides the technology needed for a website to be seen online.
Consider a web host to be your website’s home base. Websites or websites are kept on special computers known as servers, and your webpages are connected and transmitted to internet browsers via the server.
So, when users want to see your website, all they have to do is input the address or domain of your website into their browser.
When developing a website, businesses often devote a significant amount of time and resources on design, development, digital marketing, and SEO.
However, site hosting is one area that is sometimes overlooked.
If you’re going to invest in making your website seem nice and bringing people to it, why not also make it quick, useful, and flexible?
Using a high-quality web host may increase your conversion rates, among other advantages.
How web hosting benefits businesses
A web host is required if you want to create a website for your company. Although web hosting is often overlooked by businesses, it is critical for their online presence.
A dependable web host may provide your organization with a number of advantages, including:
- Site performance has improved.
- Data management that works.
- Increased security.
- High availability.
In summary, investing in a dependable web host is prudent – and should help your business flourish.
Expected features from hosting providers
Web hosts provide more than simply web hosting for businesses. Web hosting companies provide a variety of services to guarantee that business owners have a stress-free experience and that their only attention is on their business.
Here are some qualities to look for in a decent web hosting provider:
- Email accounts: Users will be required to register their own domain name by hosting providers. Domain names and email accounts will be among the services offered.
- FTP access: Using FTP, you may upload files from your local computer to the web server. Your website will be accessible over the internet, and files will be sent directly from your computer to the server utilizing this capability. Web developers require FTP access.
- WordPress support: WordPress, which runs roughly half of all websites on the internet, is a simple method to generate and manage website content.
- Enhanced security: Many hosting companies, such as WPEngine, now include free SSL certificates with their hosting packages.
Most popular web hosts
Among the most well-known web hosting businesses are:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google Cloud Platform
- 1&1 IONOS
- Hetzner Online
- Liquid Web
- WP Engine
Why is web hosting essential for SEO?
Google attempts to provide the best possible results for its users when it comes to SEO.
This implies that a solid and trustworthy web host will serve as the foundation for your SEO efforts.
Google considers a number of criteria to guarantee that users have a great experience while using their search engine. Websites that load quicker and have better UX can enhance their rankings.
Today, practically all organizations and brands place a high priority on SEO. Everyone wants their website to appear on Google’s top page for relevant search terms.
Websites that do not appear on Google’s Page 1 are unlikely to be found. As the adage goes, “the ideal location to conceal a website is on Google’s second page.”
Web hosting is vital for SEO for three reasons: speed, security, and location.
From a practical sense, speed is a very crucial component for SEO.
A sluggish and inexpensive web server will provide a slow website. It would have a domino effect, resulting in bad rankings, limited organic traffic, and few leads.
What is the answer?
A good web host will have fast speeds, which will reduce the time it takes for your pages to load.
According to a 2022 survey, the average loading time for mobile sites is roughly 4.5 seconds. The visual content on 20% of the evaluated mobile landing pages took longer than 6.6 seconds to load.
When speed = income, this is still much too sluggish.
Page Speed Measuring Tools
Do you need to test your page speed? Use the following helpful tools:
- Google Page Speed Insights
Target Metrics for Websites
The Core Web Vitals report demonstrates how your webpages perform based on real-world usage statistics, often known as “field data.”
The Core Web Vitals display URL performance by status, metric type, and URL group.
Three metrics underpin Core Web Vitals:
- LCP (Largest Contentful Paint): This indicates how long it takes to render the largest element of visible content in the perspective from the time the user requests the URL. The most prominent part of material is either a picture or video, or a huge block of text. This measure is significant since it alerts the user that the URL is loading.
- FID (First Input Delay): This shows the time from when the user interacts with the website by clicking on the link to the time in which the browser responds to the action. This metric is important since it is when the page becomes interactive.
- CLS (Cumulative Layout Shift): The aggregate of all individual layout shifts for each unexpected layout shift. This happens for the duration of the page’s existence. The measurement can vary from zero, implying no shifting, to any positive quantity. The remaining numbers show how much the arrangement changes. This measure is crucial since a layout shift while interacting with the website generates a negative user experience.
Without a good security system in place, your website may be vulnerable to threats such as hackers, spam sites, and bogus backlinks.
All of these items might hurt your Google rankings and lead to a manual action.
There is also the possibility that your site may become infected with malware, which might result in your site being banned by search engines or displaying a security warning in the search results.
If you do not employ a web host with a good security system, your SEO efforts may suffer.
Read More: SEOClarity acquires RankSense technology
A Secure Sockets Layer is one feature that web hosting companies may give (SSL). This is a security certificate, which is the industry standard for making an internet connection secure.
Another advantage of good security is dependable tech support and customer care. As a business, you want to verify that the web host you’re utilizing provides excellent technical support and customer care.
If something is taking too long or the site crashes, you may have it fixed quickly and effectively. If your website ever goes down, a good technical and customer support team will alleviate any concerns or panic.
The location of your website is critical to its SEO. When looking for the best results, search engines will take location-based signals into account.
Some questions to consider:
- Where is the user?
- Where is the business?
- Where is the site located?
All of these are practical reasons for your website’s hosting location. It influences how far the data must travel as well as its pace.
For example, if your company is based in the United States, you want your website to be hosted in a data center in the United States. If your organization is based in the United Kingdom, you will want the site to be located in a UK data center.
If your company works on a worldwide scale, you’ll need a Content Delivery Network (CDN) with hubs all over the world to ensure that your hosting is quick regardless of the user’s location
Using a low-cost web host may result in your data not being housed in a nearby data center. This has the potential to harm your website, including how it performs for visitors and your organic search rankings.
Which web hosting service should you use?
All hosting systems have advantages, but some are very awful.
So, how should you go about selecting a dependable service?
You should search for the following elements:
- Length of the web hosts’ experience
- Reputation among other clients/companies
- Seeking a web host that offers security measures such as SSL
Educating your clients/stakeholders on the value of good hosting
Your clients or stakeholders have already invested significantly in developing a successful website (content, SEO, etc.)
Choosing the incorrect web host might jeopardize all of your other investments.
Choosing the correct web host may enhance your performance, Core Web Vitals, and standing almost immediately.
If your website has inadequate web hosting, it may have a detrimental impact on its SEO.
Your website may encounter downtime, which is about as awful a user experience as one can get.
If your web host is sluggish, the user is more likely to abandon your page and go elsewhere.
Load time is equivalent to reputation. Users will abandon any website that takes more than a few seconds to load (which means fewer conversions and less revenue).
Consider this: if you were about to buy a new Bentley (new website), you wouldn’t want it to have the engine of a Kia Soul (slow web host/server). (This is not a dig; I drive a Kia Soul!)